1. Teams are allowed three players plus one (1) substitute. (NO GAME DAY CHANGES)
2. All players must be age 7 or older.
3. All Adult teams must have at least one player over 18.
4. Your team will be placed in a division with players of similar age and experience. NO ROSTER CHANGES on Game Day. If you have 3 players and one can’t or won’t play for whatever reason, you must play the remainder of the event with your remaining 3 players.
5. All teams are guaranteed at least four (4) scheduled games. The only instance you would not play four games would be if there’s a weather, facility or other unforeseen issue that prevents continuous play. ALSO if it rains, snows, sleets, hails, etc. the event will NOT necessarily be canceled but might be moved or delayed. We reserve the right to continue, delay or cancel any activities associated with the event at our sole discretion. We will announce any changes. So, be sure we have at least two teammates’ cell phone numbers.
6. Games are played on a half court using Official iBall 3v3 rules. If the event is both inside and outside, we reserve the sole right to schedule ANY team’s game on either surface. WE ARE NOT TAKING ANY REQUESTS for indoor or outdoor play. All games site selections are final unless altered by event staff.
7. Scoring: one point per basket; two points for shots made behind the designated 3-point line. First team to 21 points wins; OR the team ahead after the 21-minute time limit wins. Possession alternates after each made basket. Take the ball back behind the 3-point line after every possession.
8. iBall 3v3 reserves the sole right to verify any player’s height, age or experience. Knowingly providing false or inaccurate information is grounds for immediate disqualification of your entire team for the event duration — and no refund. ALL PARTICIPANTS must have an ID card that displays photo + age (driver license, passport, federal, state or local ID). Minors must have a photo and their birth certificate. NO EXCEPTIONS.
9. iBall 3v3 reserves the exclusive right to change format, reduce the points needed to win a game, reduce the number of scheduled games, or shorten games, due to unforeseen circumstances and circumstances beyond our control including but not limited to weather, safety, space, etc..
All players and coaches are expected to read and abide by these rules. Our rules are based on best practices of over 50 years basketball and event management experience, as well as the guidelines provided by FIBA and USA Basketball. If you have questions, reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org
HOW THE GAMES ARE RUN
● 4-players max (must have 3 players to start the game) , one substitute.
● 1 required (possibly additional refs for championship games)
● 1 required (possibly two (2) depending on availability). Court monitors will assign.
● Your team gets one (1) 30-second timeout during the 21-minute game. CLOCK NEVER STOPS.
NO timeouts are permitted in the last two (2) minutes of the game.
● Coin toss – heads or tail. Winner of toss has option to start the game with possession.
Game Duration & Scoring Limits
● League Operators will have the option to organize their games according to either format
● ALL ProAm teams play by FIBA rules – 10 minute stop clock 21 points
● 1×20/21 minutes
● Running clock
● The first team to 21 points or the team with the most points at the end of the 21-minute game
● First team to score two (2) points wins (this two can be a 3 pointer, which counts for 2; or it can be two single (non-3-pt baskets)
● Baskets made from inside the arc count as one point. Baskets made from behind the arc count
as two points.
● Can occur during dead ball situations, prior to the checked ball. Players must enter the game at the top of the court so that everyone sees the exchange.
● To start the game and after any dead ball that requires checking the ball at the top, the ball
must be passed (not dribbled) from the check ball area.
● First violation: Warning from the referee or court monitor
● Each Additional Violation: Change of possession
o 10 seconds. The shot clock is to be monitored by the ref and should be counted aloud
for the final 5 seconds.
● All ages
o 30 seconds. After a team has been warned
about stalling, failure to hit the rim on the offensive possession within 30 seconds will
result in loss of possession. The referee will count down the final 5 seconds.
● 2 free throw if fouled while shooting
● 2 free throws if fouled while shooting behind the arc
● 1 free throw if fouled while shooting and the shooter makes the shot
● Free throws count as one point
● ProAm ONLY
o After a made free throw the ball is live as soon as the ball goes through the basket. The opposing team can take possession and take it back to the check point. If the free throw is missed, the
ball is live, which means the offensive team can rebound and play (including shooting immediately without taking the ball back to check it) , or the defensive team can rebound and clear.
● Age 6 & Above
o Following a made free throw, the opposing team must check the ball at the top. If the
free throw is missed, the ball is live, and the offensive team can rebound and play the possession, or the
defensive team can rebound and clear.
Jump (tied up) Ball
● A jump ball is when one player from each team has TWO HANDS on the ball at the same time. All jump balls become possession of the defensive team. Officials can explain as needed.
Team Foul Limit (total of team’s individual fouls)
● 7 team fouls (this means the total # of individual fouls called on your team)
Penalty for Team Fouls 8-10
● 2 free throws for opposing team
Penalty for Team Fouls 10+
● 2 free throws and possessions of the ball for opposing team
Possession Following A Successful Goal
o Defense gains possession (no make it – take it). The possession begins right underneath
the hoop when the defensive team takes possession of the ball. Ball to be dribbled or
passed to a player behind the arc (both feet). Defensive team not allowed to make a
play for the ball inside the “no-charge semicircle” (area under the basket).
● 10U & Above
o Check ball exchange behind the arc (at the top)
Possession Following a Dead Ball
● Check ball exchange behind the arc (at the top)
Possession Following a Defensive Rebound or Steal
● Ball to be dribbled/passed behind the arc
● Players must play in at least 2 games to be eligible for the playoffs
Coaching Rules – All 12U Teams
● ONE COACH (no assistants, volunteers, parents, etc.) is allowed to provide guidance during TIMEOUTS only. If a Coach displays unsportsmanlike behavior verbally or otherwise, that Coach will lose their coaching privileges for the remaining of the event. NO EXCEPTIONS. No yelling at opposing kids, no telling officials what to call — simply COACH YOUR KIDS.
● Coaches may also make the allowable substitutions.
● Coaches will be penalized a point (given to the opposing team) if a ref sees excessive coaching DURING games.
● Penalties will be assessed at the referee’s discretion.
No refunds for this event under any circumstances after June 1, 2023. NO EXCEPTIONS.
These rules may be updated or changed without notice, at the sole discretion of iBall 3v3 event staff.